Blog Image

Lennart's Model Railroad Blog

About this blog

This blog is about my current model railroad layout project; The N scale "Summit" layout, which is a freelanced interpretation of the Southern Pacific Tehachapi tunnels and their surroundings. Or at least, that is what it is meant to be. What it will turn out to be is another matter. The banner photo above shows what I want to recreate in N scale.

First piece of rail in place

Track laying Posted on Thu, July 17, 2008 19:32:12

The first piece of code 40 rail is in place on the main line, tie plates and all. Here is picture of it, kept in place by pins while the glue is setting.

Blog Image

In the next picture the pins have been removed.

Blog Image

And here is a close up.

Blog Image

The last picture is of the joint between the code 40 main line and the code 80 staging yard entry track. Quite a difference, both in size and appearance.

Blog Image

I made the joint by sliding metal rail joiners onto the code 80 track and then soldering short pieces of code 40 rail on top of the rail joiners. Before soldering I used a pair of pliers to “squeeze” the free parts of the rail joiners some so that the top of the code 40 rail would become level with the code 80 rail.

The code 40 rails rest on, and are glued to, three wood ties on the same level as the future main line. As can be seen there is a small gap between the main line rail I have so far laid and the soldered piece. I did that on purpose since I want the staging yard to be electrically isolated from the main line. Staging track power is automatically turned off when the lift out section is lifted, while it remains on on the main line. Actually, that is also the reason I used those two short pieces of code 40 track. Otherwise I could just have soldered the first main line rail directly to the code 80 rail joiner.



Liftout back in business

Liftout section Posted on Thu, July 17, 2008 17:25:18

The liftout section is back in business again. Sturdier and actually better working than before. So in the end it was a good thing it started to malfunction. While I were at it I remade the opposite end as well.

Blog Image

As can be seen in the picture I screwed the track to the plywood. Ought to prevent it from ever moving again. The large screw to the right goes down through the foam and into the benchwork beneath. The plywood is glued to the foam but the screw is there just to prevent it from moving sidewards anyway. Cautions and pre-cautions 😉